In theory, the NRC should protect us from these nuclear dangers. But Congress and the nuclear lobby have muzzled the NRC, directing it to promote nuclear energy rather than protect us from it. The NRC, in turn, has gotten far too cozy with the industry it should regulate tightly.
Enough is enough. Congress needs to let (or make) the NRC do its job. Make a donation to the Who’s Protecting Us? campaign today.
The Who’s Protecting Us? campaign contains six core demands from Congress and the NRC:
- Protect us against climate disasters that could turn into nuclear disasters.
- Ensure the NRC protects Indigenous and environmental justice community rights.
- Prevent exposure to radiation.
- Set safety and emergency requirements based on disaster prevention, not on easily biased probability calculations;
- Ensure the NRC is an independent regulator, free from industry influence, and close the revolving door between the NRC and industry.
- Protect people and the planet by moving us as fast as possible to 100% renewable energy and phasing out nuclear power and fossil fuels.
Whether you contribute or not, please share the Who’s Protecting Us campaign widely with your friends and family. The dangers of nuclear power are real, and we need our leaders to protect us.
Thanks for all you do,
The NIRS Team